Many people have thought for a while now that fishy things were happening (or not happening) in the Ianiero murder investigation. It seemed strange that the resort tried to keep things so quiet, even going so far as mopping up the victims' blood and cutting the grass outside their hotel room the morning after the murder. There was the fact that the Mexican authorities seemed so sure that the prime suspects were two Canadian women from Thunder Bay. Then there was the whole story about a young girl finding a knife in her backpack a few resorts away, and bringing it home to the U.S. with her.
The latest news is that local authorities are looking for a former Mexican soldier in connection with the murder; a man who coincidentally worked at the resort, and went missing a day after the Ianieros were murdered. Frankly, that seems like a no-brainer, so hopefully they've been looking for him for a while, not just now, 5 months after the murders.
Weirder still... Quintano Roo Attorney General Bello Melchor Rodriguez "told the Star that he and the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation had launched an investigation to find the suspect, who was believed to be in the United States. However, an FBI spokesman told the Star that he was unaware of any such probe."
Posted in: law on July 26, 2006